- Group: Auto OEM Network – World’s Largest Automotive Group
- Subject: INTERESTED IN THE MOTORCYCLE INDUSTRY TOO? U.S. HARLEY-DAVIDSON MOTORCYCLE DEALERS RANKED HIGHEST BY 2013 PIED PIPER PSI®
Pied Piper Management Company LLC is pleased to be able to sponsor the Linkedin Auto OEM Network on behalf of the group’s 140,000+ members worldwide, and would like to pass along results released today from a Pied Piper benchmarking study to measure how effectively motorcycle dealerships turn shoppers into buyers.
Yes, the subject of this benchmarking study is U.S. motorcycle dealerships—not auto dealerships—so if the motorcycle industry is of no interest to you, then please disregard. For the rest of you…
MONTEREY, CALIFORNIA – May 6, 2013 – Harley-Davidson dealerships were top-ranked in the newly released 2013 Pied Piper Prospect Satisfaction Index® (PSI®) U.S. Motorcycle Industry Benchmarking Study, which measured dealership treatment of motorcycle shoppers. Study rankings by brand were determined by the patent-pending Pied Piper PSI process, which ties “mystery shopping” measurement and scoring to industry sales success.
• Harley-Davidson dealerships led all brands in eighteen different sales activities, such as encouraging shoppers to sit on a motorcycle, asking for contact information, and helping the shopper overcome obstacles to the purchase.
• Eleven different brands led at least one sales process category, and brand performance varied considerably from brand to brand. For example, Ducati salespeople offered a brochure to approximately nine shoppers out of ten, while less than half Suzuki, Honda or Kawasaki salespeople offered a brochure. BMW, Triumph and Harley-Davidson salespeople were more than twice as likely to offer a demo ride as the salespeople at Ducati, Suzuki, Honda and Yamaha dealerships. Victory salespeople were most likely to suggest arranging a demo ride in the future.
• PSI scoring is closely correlated to motorcycle dealership sales success. Pied Piper has found that on average, when motorcycle dealerships are ranked by their PSI score, dealerships in the top quarter sell 22% more motorcycles than dealerships in the bottom quarter.
• How effectively do U.S. motorcycle dealerships handle customer inquiries received over the internet? Pied Piper found that motorcycle dealerships responded within 24 hours 72% of the time, while the comparable 2013 figure for the auto industry was 93% of the time. Today the first response to a motorcycle customer internet inquiry was an auto response 56% of the time, a personal response 16% of the time, and no response of any type 28% of the time.
For a copy of the complete press release, including 2013 Pied Piper PSI brand rankings, or for more information about Pied Piper PSI “mystery shopping” for auto & motorcycle dealerships, and the patent-pending PSI process, go to https://www.piedpiperpsi.com/press/