Master Brand Strategy Road Map
Having the brand strategy road map on one page can help align everyone that works on a brand. This is especially useful when managing a Branded House or Master Brand where there are various people in your organization that each run a small part of the brand. The road map helps guide everyone and keep them aligned.
Here’s the one I use that has all the key elements that help define the brand:
- Brand Vision: It’s the End in Mind Achievement. What do you want the brand to become? Think 10 years out: if you became this one thing, you would know that you are successful. Ideally it is Qualitative (yet grounded in something) and quantitative (measurable) It should be motivating and enticing to get people focused.
- Purpose: Start with what’s in you: Why do you exist? Why do you wake up in the morning? What’s your purpose or cause behind your brand? Very personal and connects to your own story. In the spirit of Simon Sinek: “People don’t buy what you do, they buy why you do it”.
- Brand Idea: A Beloved Brand is an idea that’s worth Loving. As Brands become more loved, they go beyond being just a product and they become an idea that fulfills consumers’ emotional needs in the consumers life.
- Five Connectors With the Consumer: Under the Brand Idea are 5 Sources of Connectivity that help connect the brand with consumers and drive Brand Love, including 1) the brand promise 2) the strategic choices you make 3) the brand’s ability to tell their story 4) the freshness of the product or service and 5) the overall experience and impressions it leaves with you. Here’s an example of how these 5 connections would look for the Special K brand.
- Brand Values should come from the DNA, and act as guideposts to ensure that the behavior of everyone in the organization is set to deliver upon the Brand’s promise. How do you want your people to show up? What type of service do you want? How much emphasis on innovation? What type of people do you want to hire? What behavior should be rewarded and what behavior is off-side. Having the right Brand Values will help you answer these questions. The Brand Values become an extension of what the Brand Leader wants the brand to stand for. To read more this subject read the following: Brand = Culture
- Goals: While the vision serves as a 10 year big goal, it’s also important to have annual goals to push and challenge everyone in the organization. It’s a great way to ensure milestones on the pathway to the vision are being hit. Goals should be S.M.A.R.T. which means they should be specific, measurable, attainable,relevant and time-sensitive.
- Strategies: These are potential choices you must make in HOW to get to the vision. Good strategy has focus, early win, leverage and a gateway to something even bigger. Strategic Thinkers see “what if” questions before they see solutions. They map out a range of decision trees that intersect and connect by imagining how events will play out. They reflect and plan before they act. They are thinkers and planners who can see connections. There are four main types of strategy: 1) consumer oriented 2) competitive oriented 3) operational and 4) financial. My recommendation is that Master Brands have 3-5 key strategies, but never more. This forces you to focus.
- Tactics: Activities and executions that fit under the strategies. This could be advertising, media, sales, events, social media and professional influence. I recommend focusing on 3 key tactical areas per strategy, continuing to ensure focus.
With this format, having it all on one page forces focus and allows you to keep a tight control over those that will be working under the Master Brand.
House of Brands
When working with a house of brands, where you have multiple brand names under one corporate name (P&G, Kraft, General Mills and Johnson and Johnson) the brand plan would look different. The big differences are the teams are smaller and the culture of each team usually follows that of the corporate name.
Here’s a good example of a Brand Plan that would fit within the House of Brands and here is the related story on How to Write a Brand Plan
I’m gone to say to my little brother, that he should also visit
this weblog on regular basis to get updated from most up-to-date news.
My brother recommended I might like this blog.
He was entirely right. This post truly made my day. You can not imagine
just how much time I had spent for this info!
I have been exploring for a little bit for any high quality articles or blog posts on this sort of house .
Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this web site.
Reading this information So i am satisfied to convey
that I have a very excellent uncanny feeling I came
upon exactly what I needed. I such a lot surely will make certain to don?t
put out of your mind this site and provides it a look on a continuing basis.
Superb, what a weblog it is! This blog presents useful information to us,
keep it up.
Excellent blog you might have here.. It’s difficult to get quality writing like yours nowadays.
I seriously appreciate individuals just like you! Be mindful!!
It’s the truth is a nice and helpful bit of info. I am glad that you shared this helpful info along with us.
Please keep us informed similar to this. Thanks for sharing.
Hey! Would you mind if I share your blog with my
twitter group? There’s a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content.
Please let me know. Cheers
You’ve impressive knowlwdge listed here
That is really attention-grabbing, You’re an overly professional blogger.
I’ve joined your feed and look ahead to in quest of
extra of your magnificent post. Additionally, I’ve shared
your site in my social networks